I found this recipe after searching around online - and I assume it is from England. I'll need to figure out the volume measurements of the sugar and flour, because they are listed by weight. (I guess I'll need a kitchen scale soon!). Here is the recipe as I found it - (I'll update with the adjustments I'll make later):
Jaffa Cake Recipe
50 g (2 oz) sugar (or 1/4 cup)
65 g (2 1/2 oz) self raising flour, seived (or 1/2 cup PLUS 1/8 cup)
approx. 60 ml (4 tbsp) marmalade, seived
100g (4 oz) plain chocolate
rind of 1/4 orange, finely grated
10 ml (2 tsp) corn oil
15 ml (1 tbsp) water
1. Whisk the eggs and sugar until thick and creamy; when the whisk is lifted the mixture leaves a trail.
2. If using a hand whisk put the bowl over a pan of hot water, then fold in flour.
3. Spoon the mixture into 18 will-greased, round bottomed patty tins.
4. Bake for about 10 minutes at 200 deg. C (400 deg. F) Gas 6 until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
5. Spread a little marmalade over each cake.
6. Put the chocolate, orange rind, oil, and water into a bowl over a pan of hot water.
7. Stir well until melted. Cool until the chocolate starts to thicken and then spoon over the marmalade. Leave to set.
Serving amount - makes 18
I found a website that had some conversions for flour
and added the conversions in blue
And here are the results:
I didn't use a double boiler for any steps. I just gently stirred the flour into the sugar and egg mixture. I don't have patty tins (not even sure what they are!!), so I used my muffin pan. I made the first batch too big - I think the thinner the cake the better it will be. I used milk chocolate chips instead of reg. baking chocolate, and I just melted them with the orange rind, oil and water in the microwave in a pyrex bowl. I started it at 30 seconds, then stirred it, and added 10 seconds at time till it was all melted. As you can see from the pictures, I let the chocolate cool too much, so the first few jaffa cakes a little ugly. I reheated the bowl for a 10 more seconds, stirred it well, and did the rest of the cakes.
Pics: the bowl of melted chocolate; my sous chef spooning the marmalade onto the cakes
Pics: I left a small border around the marmalade; the finished products!
Pic: showing the difference between shiny and pretty chocolate, and gloopy and ugly chocolate. The gloopy choc was not warm enough!