Saturday, March 29, 2008

Multigrain Muffins with blueberries and lemon zest

Although I love the muffins from my previous muffin post, I wanted to try another muffin recipe from the same cookbook - Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home. I loved the multigrain pancakes I made previously, and I was hoping a similar muffin recipe would be just as tasty (as well as nutritious).
The cookbook promised a crisp crust and an unexpectedly delicate, light interior. I was skeptical, but they were right! They were not heavy, as you would expect a multigrain muffin to be. They were less sweet than other muffins, but the blueberries and lemon zest gave them a nice flavor, so they still tasted good. And you could always add extra sugar, or even some honey, if you wanted them sweeter.

Again - no pictures of these muffins - we ate them too fast!

Mulitgrain Muffins
Ingredients:
1 large egg or 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup quick cooking oats

1 cup unbleached white flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (up to 1/2 cup may be replaced by wheat bran)
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. In a bowl, stir together egg or egg whites, oil, buttermilk, brown sugar, and oats. In another bowl, combine the flours, optional wheat bran, and salt. Sprinkle in the baking soda and baking powder and mix well. Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients, and stir just until a smooth batter is formed.
3. Spoon the batter into oiled muffin tins and bake for 20 minutes, until puffed and golden. A knife inserted in the center of a muffin should come out clean. Cool for 5 minutes and remove the muffins from pan.

**Variations:
--Add 1 tbsp of freshly grated lemon peel to the dry ingredients and flod 1 1/2 cups of fresh or frozen blueberries into the finished batter.
--Add 1/2 tsp of cinnamon to the dry ingredients, and fold 1 1/2 cups of chopped peeled apples to the finished batter

*I didn't have any buttermilk, so I used 1/2 a cup of yogurt and 1/2 cup of milk. (I thought the yogurt might give the same tangy flavor to the muffins, but didn't want it to be too thick, so that's why I used half yogurt/ half milk).
*I don't know what whole wheat pastry flour is. I just had plain whole wheat flour, so that's what I used!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These muffins were quite tasty, with just a hint of healthiness. I'm looking forward to the banana ones next time;)

Anonymous said...

You have to express more your opinion to attract more readers, because just a video or plain text without any personal approach is not that valuable. But it is just form my point of view